Our tour will be a relaxed and interactive event to discover and enjoy some historical contributions made by British Muslims to wider UK society:
• Did you know that Muslim prayers were taking place in the year 1600 in London? Who were these Muslims? What were they doing in London at the time?
• Who was the Muslim that William Shakespeare inherited?
• Were you aware that that Muslim contribution to science continued in the UK after the Muslim reign in Spain ended?
• Where was the site of the first Mosque in London in 1895? Who established it?
Outreach Ealing is locally run by your residents and needs your support. Sadly, Islamophobia is rising at an alarming pace in the UK, illustrated below:
• Attacks – There were 1,264 Islamophobic hate crimes in London alone over a 12-month period, a 13% year on year increase.
• Employment Discrimination – The BBC showed that Muslims are 3 times less likely to receive a job interview compared to a non-Muslim with equal qualifications.
• Social Media – There are 393 anti-Muslim tweets on Social media every day
• Playground bullying – Studies from Childline and the NSPCC show that Muslim Children have resorted to self-harm due to Islamophobic bullying.
Our sightseeing bus tour takes place on Saturday 17th November 2018 and will commence in Ealing outside the Double Tree by Hilton hotel – Ealing at 10:30am. Light refreshments and snacks will also be provided.
You can find a full itinerary of the day below:
10:30 Double Tree Hilton Ealing Meet time
11:00 Double Tree Hilton Ealing – Tour starts – Ealing connections
11:30 Regents Park Mosque – View from outside
11:40 Regents Park – Stop for few minutes at site of London’s first mosque 1895
11:50 Euston Road- Relocation site of first mosque in 1899
12:00 St Pancras Station – the meaning and the Muslim connection
12:25 Whitechapel Gallery- Stop for 1908 Exhibition of Muhammad Art & Life
12:30 Whitechapel Mosque – Small tour of mosque and time at viewing gallery
13:00 Whitechapel Mosque- Tour continues
13:10 Tower Bridge/London Bridge – River Thames Muslim connections
13:15 The City of London – Turkish bath hop off or First Coffee shop hop off
13:30 St Paul’s Cathedral- Muslim connections
13:40 Old Bailey – Stop for a few Minutes – Science & prisoners the Ealing connection!
13:50 Holborn – Restaurant where Eid prayers took place & many Muslim meetings in the late 1800s
14:00 Bush House – Perfection belongs to Allah
14:10 Trafalgar Square- Muslim connections
14:15 Whitehall – Guided hop off to see a plaque featuring the Hijri date and Shakespeare’s adopted Muslim
14:35 New Scotland Yard – The Great Indian Robbery!
14:45 Parliament – First Muslim Lord, a white convert & his contributions including churches.
15:00 Bloomsbury – Britain’s earliest Muslim connection First Pakistani Embassy Last house of the person who founded UK’s first Mosque: Sheikh William Henry Quilliam
15:30 Double Tree Hilton Ealing – Tour ends